Which tax filing forms can use the IRS extension Form 7004?
1.2k views | Last modified 2/24/2021 11:56:20 PM EST | Added by ExpressExtension Team

Applicable To
7004 4868 8868 8809

There are 33 different IRS returns that can have their filing deadlines extended by properly submitting extension Form 7004. 

The IRS typically grants automatic extensions up to 7 months, depending on the business type and tax year. Businesses with tax years ending on December 31st or June 30th are eligible for a 6 or 7-month extension, depending on when their tax year ends.

Following are the tax filing forms that can use the IRS extension Form 7004 to extend the filing deadline up to 6-months. Exceptions apply to C corporations (1120-C) with a fiscal tax year ending June 30 are eligible for an automatic 7-month extension using Form 7004.

Form 1120 Form 1120-C, Form 1120-F Form 1120-FSC Form 1120-H Form 1120-L  Form 1120-ND
Form 1120-PC Form 1120-POL  Form 1120-REIT Form 1120-RIC Form 1120-S Form 1120-SF  


The following tax returns qualify for an automatic 6-month extension with IRS Form 7004:

Form 706-GS (D)  Form 706-GS (T) Form 1041 (bankruptcy estate only) Form 1041-N  Form 1041-QFT
Form 1042  Form 1065
Form 1065-B Form 1066 Form 1120-S
 Form 3520-A
Form 8612 Form 8613  Form 8725  Form 8804
Form 8831  Form 8876 Form 8924 Form 8928

The following Certain Trust and Entities qualify for an automatic 5 1/2 -month extension:

  • Form 1041 (estate)
  • Form 1041 (trust)

If you are a business tax filer of 1120-S and 1065, your deadline to file a tax return to the IRS is March 15, 2021. In case you need more time to prepare and file your federal tax return, you can file form 7004 using an e-file IRS service provider like ExpressExtension and get an automatic extension of up to 6 months. The total filing process will be quick and easy.

Just follow the below steps to complete your business tax extension online:

Step 1: Enter your business details.
Step 2: Choose the Form and your business entity type.
Step 3: Enter your tax payment details.
Step 4: Review and Transmit your Form 7004 to the IRS.

Once filed, you will get instant approval from the IRS.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File your Extension in minutes & get instant IRS approval!

Apply Extension Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(803) 514-5155 [email protected]