I will be living out of the country on my individual tax return deadline so I cannot file and pay my tax on time. Will I get a penalty from the IRS?
1.4k views | Last modified 4/6/2022 5:48:04 AM EST | Added by ExpressExtension Team

Applicable To
7004 4868 8868 8809

If you are a calendar year filer living outside the country on the regular due date of the return (April 15), you qualify for an automatic 2-month extension until June 15. This gives you additional time to file your return and pay any taxes due without having to request an extension. 

If you're either:

  1. Living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico, and your main place of business or post of duty is outside of the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  2. In military or naval service on duty outside of the United States and Puerto Rico. 

For additional information, refer to Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

Further, if you are not ready to file your individual income tax return on June 15, you can request an extension by filing Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return). Form 4868 extends the tax filing deadline to October 15. 

Note: The additional 4-month period is the extension of time to file and NOT an extension of time to pay. You will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File your Extension in minutes & get instant IRS approval!

Apply Extension Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(803) 514-5155 [email protected]