I will be living out of the country on my individual tax return deadline so I cannot file and pay my tax on time. Will I get a penalty from the IRS?
306 views | Last modified 3/25/2024 5:35:49 AM EST | Added by ExpressExtension Team

Applicable To
7004 4868 8868 8809

If you are out of the country on April 15, the deadline for filing your individual tax return, you qualify for an automatic 2-month extension until June 15. You don't have to file 4868 for this. 

You will be considered out of the country if:

  1. You live outside of the United States and Puerto Rico, and your main place of business is outside of the United States and Puerto Rico or
  2. You are in military or naval service on duty outside of the United States and Puerto Rico. 

Note: You'll be considered out of the country if you fulfill any of these conditions (even if you are physically present in the U.S. at the time of the deadline)

Can I still file Form 4868?

Yes! If you are not prepared to file your individual income tax return on June 15, you can request an extension by filing Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return). Form 4868 extends the tax filing deadline to October 15. 

This additional 4-month period is an extension of time to file, not an extension of time to pay. You will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date of your return.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File your Extension in minutes & get instant IRS approval!

Apply Extension Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(803) 514-5155 [email protected]