I do not have a copy of my Prior Year PIN. How can I get the prior year PIN?
1.7k views | Last modified 4/19/2023 7:26:37 AM EST

Applicable To
7004 4868 8868 8809

The Prior Year PIN is the PIN the taxpayer used to sign their previous year's tax return. If you do not remember the Prior year PIN you used to file Form 4868 with the IRS, you can still file for an extension by providing certain information to the IRS.

When you file Form 4868 electronically, the IRS will verify your identity by asking you for your prior year adjusted gross income (AGI) and your prior year Self-Select PIN. If you do not have your prior year Self-Select PIN, you can use your prior year AGI instead. Your prior year AGI can be found on your prior year tax return on line 11 of Form 1040.  On the other hand, if you never filed a tax return or did not need to file a prior year tax return, the prior year PIN field can be left blank.

For more information about Self-Select PIN Method for Forms 1040 and 4868 Modernized e-File (MeF), click here.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File your Extension in minutes & get instant IRS approval!

Apply Extension Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(803) 514-5155 [email protected]