Recent Queries

1. How can I find my estimated tax amount?

Several different factors determine your owed tax amount. You are responsible for calculating this value before completing your tax extension form. If you are unsure of your estimate, we recommend contacting your CPA or other tax professional knowledgeable about your financial records.

2. What if I cannot pay the complete balance due while filing an extension?

If you cannot pay the complete balance due amount you owe to the IRS, you can still get the extension. But make sure to pay as much as you can to limit the amount of interest you will owe. Also, you may be charged the late payment penalty on the unpaid tax from the regular due date of your return.

3. Am I able to cancel an online payment made to the IRS?

Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait for 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling. To know more about canceling EFW payments, refer to this link.

4. What if I am an “Out-of-the-Country” tax filer filing Form 4868?

Óut of Country filers are U.S. citizens and resident aliens living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico. They are allowed an automatic 2-month extension of time to file their tax return and pay any federal income tax that is due. The application for an extension can be filed only after the tax period ends and on or before the due date of June 15.

In order to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion and/or the foreign housing exclusion or deduction, they need the time to meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test. In this case, Form 2350 may be filed to request an extension of time to file the tax return.

5. Who qualifies as an “Out-of-the-Country” tax filer?

A U.S. citizen or resident alien and on the regular due date of the return:

  • Are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and their main place of business or post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or
  • Are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico.

6. How do I see my previous year's submissions?

Click on the menu Form History and choose the appropriate extension form- 4868, 7004, 8868, 8809. Your previous year's returns for the extension form will be available. A link to prior year returns is also available in Dashboard.  
If the IRS has accepted the return, you can view and download the Approval Letter

7. The IRS has rejected my Extension, and the deadline is passed. How much time do I have to correct and re-transmit?

Your timeline, also called the perfection period, to correct and re-transmit a rejected extension is 5 calendar days from the date you filed the extension initially.

8. Will the tax I owe to the IRS be charged to my credit card?

No, your credit card will be charged only for the services you avail.

If you owe taxes to the IRS, choose either Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW) or Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) or Money Order/Check/Debit Card as the payment method. For EFW, provide your bank details and a date when the amount may be debited.  For EFTPS,  it's your responsibility to log in to the EFTPS website and schedule your payment.

9. I leave mid-way while filling the form. Will my information be saved?

Yes, all your data is saved in our Comodo HackerSafe certified encrypted site protected by 1286H SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). To continue filing, click on the 'Continue where you left off' button against the return on your dashboard.

10. How much time do I have left to file my extension?

We record the exact date and time (as per taxpayer's timezone) you transmit the extension as Electronic Postmark. The IRS accepts the extension request if the electronic postmark is on or before the deadline and treats it as a timely filed extension.  
If the electronic postmark is dated after the deadline, the actual date of receipt by the IRS of the electronic return will be considered the filing date for that return.

11. Can ExpressExtension guarantee the acceptance of my extension?

Yes. With ExpressGuarantee, ExpressExtension guarantees the acceptance of your Form 7004 & Form 4868 filed with us. If the IRS rejects your filed form because the IRS already approved an extension for the same EIN or SSN, we will refund the filing fee.

12. I filed my extension just before the due date cut-off. Will my extension be accepted?

Based on the time Zone you provide to us, we record the exact date and time you transmit the extension, also known as Electronic Postmark. The IRS compares the Electronic Postmark with the filing deadline and determines if the extension was filed on time or not. 

13. Are there any discounts available for tax professionals?

Yes, based on the number of extensions you file, you can get a discount on pricing using our prepaid credits. Opting for prepaid credits, you can also avoid filling in your credit card details each time you file an extension for your clients’ businesses. 

14. I have transmitted my return. What's Next?

The IRS will review your extension and you will be notified whether it is accepted or rejected. 

Meanwhile, if you’ve chosen the EFTPS payment method, you are responsible to visit the EFTPS website to make an IRS payment before the due date. 

15. Can I pay the taxes I owe to the IRS while filing my personal tax extension in ExpressExtension?

Yes, if you owe taxes to the IRS, you can pay either using Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW) by providing your bank (checking/saving) account information or you can also send your check/money order to the IRS mailing address based on your location. To use the appropriate address, click here.

16. I chose the check option on the personal extension for paying my tax dues. What do I do next?

You need to download a copy of your filed 4868 form. Once you download, print, and enclose the form along with the check or money order, and mail it to the correct IRS address based on your location. Don’t staple or attach your payment to Form 4868, the IRS will not accept it.

17. I do not have an SSN to file form 4868. What should I do?

If you are a U.S. resident and do not have an SSN, you need to create one to file form 4868. If you are a non-U.S. citizen who doesn't qualify for an SSN, you can use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file your extension. For more specific instructions click here.

18. What is Express Guarantee?

ExpressExtension is an industry-leading IRS authorized e-file provider of IRS tax extensions. With over a decade of experience in the IRS tax e-filing industry, we are proud to offer our clients an Express Guarantee to tax extension forms 4868 and 7004. This means that all clients who file a duplicate Form 4868 or 7004 and receive an IRS rejection citing a code [R0000-902-01] or [F7004-011-03] will be refunded automatically. Please note, the express guarantee is not applicable for Tax Professionals and prepaid credits.


19. Is there any condition to get a refund through Express Guarantee?

Yes, you will get a refund automatically through Express Guarantee if the IRS rejects your form 7004 or 4868 as a duplicate filing with error code [F7004-011-03] or [R0000-902-01].  If your extension is rejected for any other reason, you may fix the error and re-transmit the extension to the IRS at no additional cost.

20. What extension form does a single-member LLC file?

For Federal tax purposes, the Single-member LLCs are taxed as a sole proprietorship and must request an extension using Form 4868.

File your Extension in minutes & get instant IRS approval!

Apply Extension Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(803) 514-5155