My Business is recognized as a Trust / Estate. Which form should I file to request an extension?
1.7k views | Last modified 2/12/2024 8:10:21 AM EST | Added by ExpressExtension Team

Applicable To
7004 4868 8868 8809

If your business entity type is either a trust or an estate, you can use the tax extension Form 7004 to request an extension of time to file Form 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts, with the IRS.

Form 7004 must be filed on or before the original Form 1041 due date, i.e., the 15th day of the 4th month following the end of the business's tax year. Upon filing Form 7004, you can get an automatic extension of up to 6 months.

If you are not aware of which business tax return you need to choose when filing an extension Form 7004 in ExpressExtension, you can use the inbuilt feature available in our application that will help you choose the right tax return based on your business entity type. Here is how:

1. Click the “What business return should I file extension for?” link for assistance in choosing the correct business tax return to file an extension.

2. Select your business entity type as either “Trusts” or “Estates” from the drop-down list, and we will suggest the business tax return you need to choose to file an extension for.

Select the appropriate Form from the list and click 'Confirm' to proceed to file the extension for that business tax return.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File your Extension in minutes & get instant IRS approval!

Apply Extension Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(803) 514-5155 [email protected]