What type of tax extension should I file if I'm self-employed?
1.7k views | Last modified 3/7/2023 6:42:21 AM EST

Applicable To
7004 4868 8868 8809

If you are self-employed as a sole proprietor (Form 1040 Schedule C), Independent contractors (Form 1099), and single-member LLCs who need additional time to file their income tax return (IRS Form 1040) after the regular due date should request a personal tax extension, Form 4868, which will extend both personal and business tax filing deadlines. 
If you have a different business type, such as a partnership, S-corporation, or C-corporation, you should file IRS Form 7004 to extend the business tax return filing deadline.

Was this helpful? Yes No

File your Extension in minutes & get instant IRS approval!

Apply Extension Now

Returning User? Sign in

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(803) 514-5155 [email protected]